Check out my food blog!

15 March, 2009

Sunday: A day off


Today we took a grand taxi to a famed waterfall in the high-atlas mountains where we witnessed beautiful views and a significant tourist trade. As we walked through town towards the trailhead, we heard numerous "bojours" because, of course, it is assumed that we are French. This is in fact an issue everywhere in Morocco, as most children are taught French in primary school. One interesting cultural point, however, is that we did not have to pay to see the waterfall, and there were no barriers, fences or limitation as to where you went or how close you got to the falls. On the contrary, people could be seen sitting inches from the edge braving the powerful falls for a good picture. The freeness of the area was a welcome suprise for a national site of interest. After enjoying the vista and the risidual mist (it is probably about 85°f today) we headed back towards our village, but stopped first in our hub site 5km away to get some lunch, buy some odds and ends, and hit up the cyber-cafe. This our first time venturing out of our site without a local language speaker. We did have each other, which helped tremedously, but I felt good about our ability to function, which gives me hope. Sapping my hope, however, is the fact that Amber and I are both already struggling with minor illness which is a tiring addition to an already exhausting experience.
Our host family is great about interacting with us even though we butcher they`re language. Our host-sister is 12 and she is patient and willing to help us with vocab and pronunciation as long as we are hopelessly entertaining, which is all the time. I have discovered that laughter truly is the best social adhesive. We have made many embarassing mistakes with our family, but if I can make them laugh, "mashi muskil"(everything is good). I am quickly learning not to take myself too seriously because I have no choice. "Ensha allah", I will bring this characteristic back to the states with me.